Friday morning, officials from the City of Prairie du Chien, Crawford County Emergency Management and the Department of Corrections held a meeting to prepare for the anticipated flooding on the Mississippi River. As of the time of the meeting, the latest projections are that the river will crest at 19 1/2 feet on Thursday September 29th, the highest level the river has reached since 2011. The following steps will be taken or are currently being taken, based on these latest river projections:
1) Approximately 3,000 sandbags will be filled today with assistance from inmates at the Prairie du Chien Correctional Institution as a joint City-County effort. These sandbags will be provided to area residents as needed as the water rises. An additional 15,000 sandbags have been ordered by the County Emergency Management office.
2) 100 flood cleanup kits have been ordered by Emergency Management for post-flood cleanup. Kits can be obtained by contacting the Emergency Management office at 326-0267. In addition, well testing kits will be available through Emergency Management.
3) Fremont Street from its intersection with Taylor Street south to the intersection of Wells Street will be closed through Sunday so the City of Prairie du Chien can conduct an emergency pumpout of the excess water in Godden Pit, which is currently underway.
4) City officials anticipate that access to St. Feriole Island via the Washington Street bridge will be restricted sometime early Sunday morning. In addition, portions of Main Street will likely be barricaded off at the same time.
5) Access to St. Feriole Island will likely be entirely restricted sometime late Tuesday afternoon. Barricades will be placed at the Washington Street and Blackhawk Avenue bridges. ANY PERSON WHO MOVES OR DAMAGES A BARRICADE WILL BE SUBJECT TO A POSSIBLE CITATION AND FINE BY THE PRAIRIE DU CHIEN POLICE DEPARTMENT.
6) The City of Prairie du Chien, due to liability issues, is not able to provide pumping services to private residences or businesses.
NOTE: These steps are being taken based on the most recent river projections. As projections change, these steps may be altered, and additional action may be taken and will be announced via the City's Facebook page, local media and the City's website.
NUMBERS TO REMEMBER
Prairie du Chien City Hall - 326-6406
Crawford County Emergency Government - 326-0267
STATE OF EMERGENCY
I, Mayor Dave Hemmer, under the power granted to me under Chapter 1.09 (6) (a) of the Municipal Code of the City of Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin, do hereby order as follows:
A state of emergency is declared as existing within the City of Prairie du Chien, Crawford County, Wisconsin, for the following reasons: Flooding on the Mississippi River.
Furthermore, the period of emergency shall be limited to the time during which the emergency conditions exist or are likely to exist in the City of Prairie du Chien, and;
Furthermore, the City of Prairie du Chien, or its designated agents, has the authority to order whatever is necessary and expedient for the health, safety, welfare, and good order of the City of Prairie du Chien during the emergency, as empowered under Chapter 1.08 (Continuity of Government) and Chapter 3 (Emergency Government) of the Municipal Code.
Adopted this 23rd day of September, 2016.